1.1 The Background of The Analysis
In English, sometime we are not familiar about Prose Non Fiction. Prose – Non Fiction is a form of literature based primarily on facts. We always make sentence, story and others, but sometime we don’t know how is the way for making us to know that it is Prose – Non Fiction or no. So, we use Prose – Non Fiction for making us know about something happen in this life with real fact. When we use Prose – Non Fiction we must know about the fact or no because in Non Fiction tell about something is Fact, We must know more detail about it when we use it. So this paper is way for students especially for English Department In STKIP PGRI BANGKALAN to know and understand about Prose – Non Fiction.
1. What is definition of Prose – Non Fiction?
2. What types does Non Fiction have in Literature?
3. What element does Non Fiction have in Literature?
1. To know about definition about Prose – Non Fiction in Literature
2. To know about types of Prose Non Fiction in Literature
3. To know elements of Prose Non Fiction in Literature
✓ The reader can know about Prose – Non Fiction
✓ The reader can know about types and elements of Prose – Non Fiction .CHAPTER II
2.1. The definition of Prose – Non Fiction
Eastpennsd has definition that Nonfiction is prose writing that presents and explains ideas or that tells about real people, places, objects, or events. Suitable with Misshannigan’s opinion that Nonfiction is an account or representation of a subject which is presented as fact. And also Britannica said that Nonfiction is any literary work that is based mainly on fact, even though it may contain fictional elements.
Characteristics of Non-Fiction
1. The people, events, place and ideas presented in nonfiction are real, not invented
2. Nonfiction is narrated by an author who is a real person.
3. It presents facts, describes true-life experiences, or discusses ideas.
4. Nonfiction is written for a specific audience, or group of readers. In addition, it addresses a clear purpose, or reason for writing. The audience and purpose influence the type of information a writer includes.
5. Tone, the author’s attitude toward the subject or reader, is displayed through the writer’s word choice and style.
◈ Recognizing the difference between facts and opinions is important in understanding nonfiction prose:
Ex : Christmas Day falls on December 25.
Ex : Christmas Day is the best holiday of the year.
2.2. Types of Nonfiction Writing:
• Narrative – written as a story.
✓ Biographies – a life story written by another person.
✓ Autobiographies – the writer’s account of his or her own life.
✓ Memoirs and Journals – contain personal thoughts and reflections.
✓ ravel Literature – records journeys in the world, which are often journeys within yourself.
✓ Letters – written texts addressed to a particular person or organization.
✓ Blogs – (a.k.a. web logs) journals posted and frequently updated for an online audience.
• Expository – writing that explains or informs. It presents facts and ideas, or explains a process. Essays, speeches, and textbooks are all examples of expository writing.
• Persuasive – writing that is intended to convince the reader to adopt a particular point of view or take a particular course of action. Newspaper editorials, letters to the editor, speeches, essays, and advertisements are all forms of persuasive writing.
• Descriptive – writing that is a portrait, in words, of a person, place, or object. Descriptive writing uses images that appeal to the five senses. Most forms of writing can be descriptive.
• For each of these types of nonfiction, the writing may be objective, based on facts, or subjective, based on opinion. Sometimes the writing is a combination of the two, but, more often than not, a reader can identify which is more common.
2.3. Elements of Nonfiction Writing:
• Organization – the way a writer chooses to arrange and present information in a single piece of writing.
– Chronological – presents information in time order, from first to last or last to first.
– Compare-and-Contrast – shows the ways in which two or more subjects are similar and different.
– Cause-and-Effect – shows the relationship among events.
– Problem-and-Solution – identifies a problem and then offers a solution.
• Tone – the writer’s attitude toward his or her audience and subject.
– Formal – uses formal language, no slang. Everything is grammatically correct.
– Informal – written as though you were writing to a friend.
• Voice – the writer’s way of “speaking” in his or her writing.
• Objective vs. Subjective Writing –
– Objective – facts that can be proved true by the senses.
– Subjective – verifiable (true) only by reference to your own state of mind and experiences. Nobody knows the truth of that state except the writer.
Suggestions for reading nonfiction prose:
• Find the main idea.
• Look for facts, examples, and evidence that support an author’s opinion.
• Read the summaries and descriptions.
• Note characteristics of style and structure.
• Draw conclusions from the ideas and supporting details.
There are types and elements of Prose – Non Fiction. Prose – Nonfiction is kind of literature and it is all about something that is real. So, if we want to make and use Prose Non – Fiction we must know the something is real and we must know the type and elements of all of the Prose – Non Fiction because in every prose there are different between Prose – Fiction and Prose Non Fiction. If we can know the different about it, it’s so easy for us to understand about all of Prose – Non Fiction.
So, we hope this paper can useful for all of people especially for all of the students at STKIP PGRI BANGKALAN in English Department.
We hope the explanation of this paper can make us to know more detail about Prose Non Fiction. We think Just it that We can give to add our knowledge and understand for university student to use Prose – Non Fiction in our daily life.
If we have mistake in making this paper, We do hope forgiven because We realize that this paper is not enough and We still study. So, because of it, We need Advise and suggestion for making this paper perfect than before.